Architectural design. On site architectural and structural management; artistic direction for the restoration of paintings, frescoes and general decorations.
1987-1988 Restoration and consolidation of the Baroque facade; intervention for the consolidation of the bell tower
2001-2003 Electrical, lighting, heating services and anti-burglar alarm;
2006-2007 Roofs consolidation; restoration of the wall surfaces on the side facade. Restoration of the travertine staircase; restoration of frescoes, wall paintings, all the stucco decorations, the wood and plastered internal surfaces; modification and improvement of the lighting system.
The church of St. Martino, situated in the historic center of Siena, is the result of three stages of interventions. They are clearly identifiable through both the reading of the few archival preserved documents, and the examination of the structures and the reading of the various inscriptions located outside and inside the building.
The first phase dates back to the Fourteenth Century church: of this, only the portion of the choir and the bell tower remain, with the exception of the last level.
The second phase consists of the extention of the Gothic church, that led to the transformation of the former building into the current architectural system. It was bult on a project by the architect Giovan Battista Pelori, a pupil of Peruzzi, from 1537 to 1577. The stairway at the entrance can be attributed to this phase of works as well, although, as noted in the date engraved on the pavement at the base of the balustrade, it was completed a few years later, in 1583. Also some works of art, part of the rich interior decor, can be aattributed to the XVI° century: the painting The Nativity of Jesus by Beccafumi, the Crucifixion with polychrome wooden statues placed in the niche of the second altar on the left, the painting on wood by Lorenzo Cini, dated 1528, located in a niche on the counterfacade.
The third phase starts a few years later the consecration of the church and continues throughout the Seventeenth century with the completion of the travertine facade (1613) and the nterior decoration works: the construction of the side altars, of the major altar, designed by Giuseppe Mazzuoli in 1649, and the fresco decorations to the dome and the choir vault, attributed to Annibale Mazzuoli and completed in 1702.
In 1800 it became necessary to carry out some consolidation works, that certainly involved bearing walls and roofs, as a result of the earthquake of 1798, which caused several damages throughout Siena.